Friday, April 3, 2015

A Love Letter To My Shoes. From My Pants.

I have this theory that you can tell a lot about a person by the kind of pants they wear.
While this isn't entirely accurate I have just been thinking about it all week, and so here you go, an insight to pants.

Dear Lefty,

I feel the beginning of your fabric brush the end of me,
and I can't help it,
a shiver runs down my seam.

Your laces have the most beautiful curves,
but I can't stop thinking about how amazing it would be if they came undone,
so that every time our wearer walked you might flip up and skim across the outside of me.

The scattered bits of conversation between the touches,
You tell me you are self conscious because she leads with her right foot.
And how she puts the right shoe on first,
But baby, I don't mind.
I don't care about starting trends, or being a hipster,
I just want to fall off the shelf where I am kept and lay on the floor right next to you.

I can't and won't tell you how jealous I am of the socks,
I don't want to be in the dark,
or breathe in the sweat all day,
and my favorite part of my job is swinging around in the open air,
seeing everything.
But I would give that all up to be right next to your sole.
I would give up the open air just to be that close,
to feel your cotton on mine.

But for now I am just a pant-leg,
and I don't have the opposable thumbs necessary to untie your laces.

So I will stay here,
waiting for the moment when she trades us both for sweat pants and a pair of slippers.
waiting for the moment I can lay with you on the carpet,
and wrap you up in my denim,
and finally,
be still.

With love,
     The Left Pant-Leg



Inspired by Sarah Kay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIAQENsqcuM

10 comments:

  1. ok so I feel really bad that I've never commented on your blog, because I love it. and I love when you share in class and I love your personality and how you're always smiling and how you're not afraid to be yourself and basically I look up to you a lot. you do you, cause you are pretty freaking great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this. This was cool and I liked how it was all personified. Cool cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was such a cool post. and the line about giving up everything to be next to your sole. so freaking true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is possibly the coolest/most clever lil love story ever.

    just yes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im speechless. In the best way.

    So good.. yeah.. So good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So creative. I always love how creative you are! LIKE seriously so good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. K this whole thing has me laughing so hard!!!!! Way to take something that might not seem poetic/humorous and then orally make it that way! This was so PRIME!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Might be my favorite thing I heard in class all year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. p.s. I tried to vote on the Mr. Nelson poll but it's already closed. Dangit. I was going to vote for the bald one. I hate bald.

    ReplyDelete